Does Hat Size Matter?

Does Hat Size Matter?
Does this hat make my head look too big..?

Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Veteran Memories

I wish all my fellow Veterans a happy Veteran's Day..!  Our Armed Forces should always be appreciated, because they are the ones who go into harms way for the people of this nation.  It is their presence that keeps potentially hostile nations and peoples at bay.  Whatever you may think about the wars that the politicians send our troops to, we must never forget that the Soldiers, Marines, Seamen, or Airmen are there to protect this country and its people.

I myself served for a while in the U.S. Air Force, and was stationed at Aviano, Italy.  I was there during the Kosovo Air War, and most of the aircraft participating in it were coming out of our base, Aviano Air Base.  I watched the Stealth F-117's taking off quietly, and I saw the protesters sleeping in tents near the front gate of the base, as I passed them on the road while riding my bike.  I saw the protest parade march past the front gate, as protesters shot bottle rockets over the fence.  I recall watching CNN in the break room outside (a small shed like building), and leaning against the doorway, seeing a cargo aircraft coming in for a landing during a live broadcast on the TV.  I looked out towards the runway, and was amazed to be seeing the same exact image on CNN as I was seeing with my own eyes out in the distance.

I was assigned to help off load aircraft coming in for the operation (the Air War), and I helped the marines offload from Cherry Point MCAS, NC.  I got to talk to a lot of the marines, and ask them how the home town was doing (I lived in New Bern, NC which is only a few miles away from Cherry Point).  I was able to watch videos of guided missiles striking their targets, after the aircraft returned from their missions.  You could actually see men through the windows or doorways, running away just moments before the missile struck and the screen went blank.

Right next to my work station, the marines had their Prowlers parked, and they were noisy..!  For a short time the Army had their Blackhawk Helicopters located there, and then they moved to make room for the Prowlers.  I remember watching a U2 Spy plane taking off, and I once saw a huge Russian cargo aircraft parked along the runway.  I remember riding the bus around the entire flight line, just to see the F-117's in their parking areas.  I still remember the view of a flat landscape with vineyards on one side of the base, and off in the distance the massive wall of mountains that make up part of the Alps.  I lived at the foot of that mountain range, and it was quite a view.  Snow covered in the winter, and green on parts during the summer, with a large rocky crag to the east.  I remember seeing para gliders, riding the air during the summer, and wishing I could do it too.

I had quite a few memorable experiences in Aviano, Italy.  I sort of regret not getting out more than I did, but I do at least have some interesting memories of interesting times.  Once more, a Happy Veteran's Day to all my fellow Vets out there, including my Dad and other members of my family, and friends..!

No comments:

Post a Comment