Does Hat Size Matter?

Does Hat Size Matter?
Does this hat make my head look too big..?

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

It's Election day again...

It's not something I'm proud of, but I'm pretty much burnt out on politics right now.  For the past few years I've been ignoring the news and politicians.  I used to watch the news 24/7, and was up on all the national issues.  These days, I'm barely aware of whats going on out there or who the new politicians are.  It's not that I don't care, it's just that I feel our government culture has degenerated into a money bound mess, where the needs of the people take a back seat to the private interests groups paying politicians off.  I can't help but wonder if our 'great experiment' of representative democracy has become a failure..?  We were a Republic, not specifically a Democracy as has often been spouted in recent years.  These days, I'm not sure what we are.  A Monetary Democracy?

It's kind of depressing if one dwells on it, which is why I try not to.  We are in a world of unprecedented technological development, and yet it feels like we should be further along than we are.  Our government just feels like this overshadowing thing always present, but not like something that is really making a difference.  We live in a world of beaucracies that seems so caught up in themselves that they can barely do the jobs they were initially created for.

On the other hand, have people always felt this way?  150 years ago, were people making the same complaints?  The old saying that the grass always looks greener on the other side, comes to mind, and I wonder if we are making to much of nothing.  Yet, if we aren't concerned about the future, how can things change or improve?  I know there are things I'd like to see happen, that aren't happening.  I'd like to see education at all levels freely available to the masses if they want it.  I'd like to see the Space Program take a new leap into the future with a renewed push towards manned space travel to the stars.  I'd like to see the government less intrusive, but available to help if needed.

We spend about $400 Billion a year on the U.S. military and at only about 6% of the national budget, or least that was how it looked last I checked.  So I can't help but wonder, just what our government is doing with the other 94%?  How much of it is lining the pockets of politicians, and fill pork barrel projects that may not really be necessary?  I feel it is wrong that congress can hide those sorts of deals behind other issues being voted on by congress.  When things like that are happening behind the doors of government, it is hard to feel confident that they are doing the right things.

The Bible says the love of money is the root of all evil, and our money infused politics definitely feels wrong.  I have nothing against money, it is only a means, although some see it as an end to itself.  If we could somehow remove money as an equation of our political system, I can't help but think it would be better and more effective.  Somehow, though, that feels like a pipedream here and now.  I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I guarantee you that if politicians had to volunteer their time to run the House and Congress none of the people that are there now would be. I don't understand why term limits are not in place for every facet of politics.

    ReplyDelete